Professor Suliman S. Fedail graduated from the Faculty of Medicine University of Khartoum in 1971 after a distinguished undergraduate carrier. He joined the Faculty of Medicine University of Khartoum in 1972 as a Teaching Assistant. He was sent to Bristol University in UK in 1974 for postgraduate studies. He obtained the membership of the Royal College of Physicians in 1975 and the degree of Doctor in Medicine MD from the University of Bristol in 1979 on the Exocrine Pancreas.
He had broad general medical training in Khartoum and Bristol and in depth training in Gastroenterology and endoscopy in the prestigious gastroenterology unit of the Bristol Royal Infirmary .
He returned to Sudan in 1978 and since then never left. He was promoted to Professor of Medicine University of Khartoum in 1990. In 1992 was elected Dean of the Faculty of Medicine University of Khartoum. In 1994 he was asked to establish and direct the National Centre for Gastrointestinal & Liver Diseases in Sudan a position he held till 2003 when he took early retirement.
In Sudan Professor Fedail established at Soba Hospital the Gastroenterology and Endoscopy laboratory in 1979 where some of the earliest advanced endoscopic procedures e.g ERCP were carried out in Sudan.
Prof. Fedail established and run the endoscopy unit at Ibn Sina Hospital from 1998 – 2003. His most remarkable achievement is the establishment of Mohamed Salih Idris Gastrointestinal Bleeding centre which was opened in 2003. It provides round the clock service to patients presenting with gastrointestinal bleeding especially bleeding from Oesophageal varices due to Schistomiasis, the service is free of charge. The centre was built by a donation from one of Prof. Fedail’s patients Mr. Mohamed Salih Idris of 1.5 million dollars Know More About Mohamed Salih Idris Gastrointestinal Bleeding centre
He has 83 publications in peer reviewed journals and published chapters in two prestigious books (1) Kumar & Clark text book of Medicine , (2) Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
He was the President of the Sudanese Society of Gastroenterology for two terms and was also the President of the PanArab Association of Gastroenterology 2000 – 2002. He is an active member and a mentor in the World Gastroenterology Organization. He was the Representative of the Royal College of Physicians in Sudan from 1990 -2008. Prof Fedail was the Chairman of the Internal Medicine Committee of the Sudan Medical Council since 2000- 2017. He was the President of the African Middle Eastern Society for Digestive Oncology for two terms 2008 – 2012.
Chairman Achievements And Awards
- 1986 The Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (London UK) (FRCP)
- 2009 Master of the World Gastroenterology Organization (MWGO) . This award is given to the best ten and most elite gastroenterologist in the world.
- 2010 Granted Merit Award by the President of Republic of Sudan.
- 2017 Fellowship of the American Society of Gastroenterology & Endoscopy (FASGE).
- 2019 Honorary Doctorate in Science – Ahfad University for Women Khartoum Sudan
- 2020 Fellowship of the American College of Gastroenterology (FACG)
Professor Fedail donated from his own money to establish:
- Endoscopy unit in El Fasher Hospital – Darfour.
- ICU unit including oxygen generating unit in El Fasher Hospital.
- Health Centre in Tulus Southern Darfour.
- Secondary school in Mershing village near Nyala – Southern Darfour.
- School classes in various locations in Darfour.
Professor Fedail undeterred by several constrains established Fedail Hospital as a World class Private Hospital in Sudan.